Little Lambs – Parents + Tots
Quick Links: Multi–Cultural Toddler Group / Kids on Sundays / Kids / Sunday Services
We welcome anyone caring for kids from newborns to pre–schoolers – Mum, Dad, Grannies and Grandpas, Childminders and other relatives and friends all bring along their little ones.
We have an excellent space, appropriate and safe equipment and facilities and a dedicated team of volunteers which means that you and your child can come and have some fun, learn and develop through play (the kids!) and have a bit of a rest, a nice cuppa and connect to others in the same position (you!)
We meet every Wednesday morning in the Church Hall from 10am till 11.30am, during the school term.
We currently charge £1 per session for each family.
Our normal Wednesday morning looks like this:
10am – Doors open for registration and welcome
10.30am – Children’s snack time
We provide a healthy snack: normally toast, fresh fruit and squash to drink
10.50am – Coffee/tea and biscuits for the adults
11.10am – Children’s craft or playdough – you and your children can get creative. Often one of our volunteers will lead this session, having prepared specific things to make and take home
11.25am – Singing – we get together to join in some favourite songs before we say goodbye
Sometimes we will have professionals from outside agencies to come and lead the children in craft, singing or other developmental activities. If you know anyone that you would recommend, please let us know.
The rest of the time is open for whatever activities you and your child want to get involved in. We normally set up the hall to include:
- a quieter area for babies and non–walkers with age–appropriate toys, bouncy chairs, soft mats etc. and enclosed by chairs for carers to use (and to keep the more boisterous toddlers out!)
- a small climbing area with a slide box, tunnel and mini–tent
- building activities on separate tables e.g. duplo, sticklebricks, building blocks
- a transport area using cars, road map, garage etc.
- pretend play using dressing up
- a reading area with choice of books and cushions to sit on
- pretend play using kitchen/home equipment
- a puzzle area
….as well as facilities for baby changing, welcome and parking your buggies
As a church, we know that God is a God of love who cares deeply for children and their families, and understands the upheaval of having young children with all the laughter, tears and sleepless nights that they bring! As God’s family, we want to welcome children and their carers and show His love in practical ways – and our Toddler group is one way to do that. We also welcome you to any of our services, especially the 10am and 11.30am services on Sunday morning, where there is a crèche provided as well as activity groups for older children.
- Though we have a faithful team of volunteer helpers, who are often great with the kids, the carers themselves are responsible for the care and supervison of their children throughout the session. The number of volunteers varies week to week and the weekly service to welcome, help prepare and serve tea coffee and the children’s snacks, art & craft activities, singing, tidying up and clearing away toys and equipment takes up a lot of their time, so they cannot also keep an eye on every child!
- Where possible we provide 1 or 2 trips a year to an outside activity suitable for the children’s ages e.g. Streamvale Open Farm or Mookie World.
- In previous years a summer scheme has also operated – watch this space to see when this is on.
- We promote equality of opportunity regardless of religion, culture, race, sex or means.
- We have been delighted to be able to extend and improve existing facilities for the children by providing quality basic equipment and toys which are suitable for the various ages and stages of development and replace and broaden the range of existing items, which had reached the end of their lifespan.
- We also run a toddler group for children and carers from other cultures on a Friday morning.
We hope this page has given you all the information you need, and look forward to welcoming you and your children to the next session. If you want to know more, please contact us or come along!
Our volunteer team are members of Willowfield Church. You can contact us through the church office via email or on 028 9045 7654 or directly to the coordinator of the team – Diane on 07789 711218.
“He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.”
Isaiah, chapter 40; verse 11 (The Bible).